HINTS FOR EFFECTIVE PRESS RELEASES
Newspapers, magazines, radio, and television are the best means to
disseminate your views and news to the community in a relevant and timely
manner. In working with the media, remember that every editor, reporter, or
producer is a professional whose primary task is to present important
information to the public. If a member of your group has personal contact with
the media, use it!
- Send short accounts of "hard news" to local newspapers, television,
and radio stations.
notices of Pack meetings, special events, and Courts of Honor and other events
to newspapers and radio stations for listing in their community calendars.
- Send detailed descriptions of special events and programs to the lifestyle,
educational, or cultural reporters at newspaper, radio, and television stations
and to the editors of local or regional magazines.
- After sending a press release, be sure to follow up with a well-timed phone
call. Call reporters, editors, and broadcasters within one week to supply them
with any additional information needed.
- Begin the process by sumitting photos, articles, programming to the NAPS editor for possible inclusion in the national NAPS newsletter and website- email@example.com.
GUIDELINES FOR PRESS RELEASES
- Type the release, double-spaced, with one-inch margins on 8 1/2 x 11 paper.
- In the upper left-hand corner, type "FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE" and
include a note about the region it should interest.
- In the top right-hand corner, list the name, title, address, and telephone
number(s) of a contact person. List a second contact for District or Council
- Center the headline above the body of the release, keep the headline short
- Begin the main body of the release with a dateline (city of origin and date)
in all capital letters.
- Include who, what, when, where, why, and how in the first paragraph. Use
short paragraphs. Remember: NAMES MAKE NEWS!
- Try to limit the release to one page if possible. If not, type
"MORE" at the bottom of the page. On following pages in the upper
left-hand corner, type a short derivative of the main title in all capital
- To end the release type either "###" or "-30-".
- Attach a personal note to the release that grabs the reader's attention.